Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

My Mother's Daughter

So, I had a moment. You know, one of those little moments that were the reason I decided to write a blog. One of those moments that lasts only a few seconds but will leave an impression that I hope to never forget. Tonight after I finished washing the dishes, I rinsed out the sponge, cleaned the counters, and then made my way over to the stove to scrub the top of it. As I was leaning over the stove, I immediately thought, "Gosh, I feel like my mom!" As soon as the thought crossed my mind, I thought it was kind of funny and wondered why cleaning the stove would make me feel like my mom. But I think I've figured it out.
You see, doing dishes was the daily chore that I shared with my sister, Kristy. Oh, how we hated doing the dishes! To this day, I would rather clean the bathroom then wash the dishes! Ah, but alas, I am married and my mother and sister no longer live with me, so washing my own dishes is the fate to which I have succumbed! :) Anyway, when Kristy and I would finish doing the dishes, that was it- we were done and we were not going to do anything else that afternoon except watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch and have an afternoon snack. When my mom washed the dishes, however, she would proceed to wash the counters and scrub the stove. She didn't just wash the dishes, she cleaned the kitchen. This must be why cleaning the stove triggered the immediate "mom" feeling in me.
This is just one of the many reasons why I love my mother and am lucky to be hers. She is the hardest worker and most selfless person you will ever meet. I'm telling you, you won't ever find a person who knows my mother, who doesn't immediately praise her at the mention of her name. My mother is amazing and wonderful!   So I suppose that growing up and becoming my mother isn't such a bad thing. I can honestly say that I am proud to be my mother's daughter!

2 comments:

  1. Julie, what a wonderful tribute to your mother! I can tell that there is much of her in you - and I'm sure that she is very proud to call you "Daughter". I look forward to reading your blog - you've got writing talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post Julie, it made me cry. But I don't feel bad cause Aunt Betty cried too. lol. I love you to and am proud of you and Nate. This is my favorite Blog page. :)

    ReplyDelete